Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Day 23

I've progressed to the point where John the Therapist says we've maxed out on home exercises and that it's time for me to hit the gym. If everything goes as planned, I should be starting outpatient physical therapy next week. The sticking point is whether the doctor will allow me to drive. The nurse sounded optimistic when I spoke with him on the phone today.

Confession: I have driven a couple of times to watch the high school baseball team practice and to hang out with the other coaches. It's about a mile there and back. And I was careful. I'm in no hurry to start driving on a regular basis, but I do want to be able to take myself to PT or the baseball field or on an occasional errand.

Speaking of being on the move ... after completing my exercises this morning, my cane and I went across the street and walked a little over a quarter-mile in the park. The top of the knee puffed up a bit afterward and there was additional stiffness, but otherwise I did fine for my first walk. I'm planning another one this afternoon and will try to add a little distance each time.

No comments:

Post a Comment