Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Day 30

I survived. No, I'm not talking about yesterday's first session of outpatient PT. I'm talking about the estrogen fest known as a 7th-grade sleepover that began last night and is lingering into the early afternoon. My daughter is having a great time, which makes me happy.

Physical therapy, on the other hand, was just as tough as I expected. Dave the therapist introduced new exercises far more arduous than those prescribed by John the Therapist, including a few using weight machines. One of his big aims is to get my leg straight and more flexible. Lying down on the therapy table, the back of my left knee was an inch or so above the surface. By the time I left, my leg had straightened further, which made the hard work (and pain) of therapy worth it.

I go back on Friday for another session and will be doing the new exercises in between. Dave did say that I seemed to be doing well. I think he pushed me to find out how far I could go. I managed to complete everything, but it was indeed hard work. I was sore afterward, but nothing too bad. Dave reminded me to apply ice often.

Dave was insistent that I should no longer keep a pillow under my knee at night because that inhibits the leg from straightening. I followed his advice and, despite all the sleepover hullabaloo, I actually slept sounder by trying to keep the leg straight for most of the night. I'm a little sore today, but I got my walking in this morning and plan to do my exercises soon. Also took a few more swings in the driveway. Still feels good.

Finally, I'm not sure how much longer I will be maintaining this online journal. It's only getting a handful of hits, although the larger purpose for creating the blog was to keep track of my progress and to provide information for anyone considering or about to undergo a knee replacement. I had found such a blog before my surgery and found it informative. It's my hope that people out there will find this blog months or even years from now.

Each knee replacement experience is no doubt unique. Mine, obviously, has been good. I'll probably check back on occasion when something significant occurs. Until then, take care.

No comments:

Post a Comment